Friday, November 20, 2009

What is the meaning of the Greek name Nyleptha?

I don't know about the Greek name but the Zu-Vendi name is simply given as a name of one of the Queens of the Zu-Vendi, and since the language is made up, and the book does not provide an explanation, you would have to ask Mr Rider Haggard or find some notes he left behind explaining it (or ask Mr Quatermain).





If you mean the specific epithet nylephtha, I suspect it was given to the damselfly Eccholorolestes nylephtha in honour of the Queen of the Zu-vendi, mispelled deliberately or by accident, as I don't know and can't find any Greek word resembling it, nor any place or family name in South Africa.





if it's possible to give points to questions let me know how because this was a great question inasmuch as any question is great when it makes me learn something.


No comments:

Post a Comment