Friday, April 23, 2010

What is the roman name for the greek hero jason?

it was iason (iason, iasonis), the original latin alphabet lacked the letter j, so the romans didnt use it.


(they didnt even have the g before the III century b.c.)


so pantherpaw's edition of ovid's metamorphoses is either in english or not very accurate... i think the letter j appears after the V century a.d.

What is the roman name for the greek hero jason?
I believe they also simply referred to him as Jason. I Believe that is how it was in Gaius Valerius Flaccus' Argonautica which was a Latin version of the Greek Myth.


Also, I just look it up in my copy of Ovid's Metamorphoses, which is a Latin work, and they refer to him solely as Jason.


Yeah, my version of Ovid is in English. I thought the asker was looking for something along the lines of Hercules vs. Heracles or Zeus vs. Jupiter. If not then my mistake, and go with maroc's response.

fuchsia

No comments:

Post a Comment