Saturday, April 24, 2010

Can someone help me name these characters from Greek mythology?

I consider myself as a bit of an expert on Greek mythology, but can't for the life of me remember certain names. Any help would be greatly appreciated. These are the names I need:


The king and his brother who found Danae in the tale of Medusa.


The guy who made a statue of Aphrodite and fell in love with it.


The Titans that created all life and were on the side of the gods.


I think that's it. But, if I remember more that I need, I will ask for them. Oh, and if they have Roman names as well (ie: Zeus/Jupiter) could you please put both? Thank you!

Can someone help me name these characters from Greek mythology?
The king and his brother who found Danae in the tale of Medusa.


-On the island of Seriphus, King Polydectes found Danae and her young son Perseus afloat in a chest. Polydectes fell in love with Danae but was rejected so for revenge he sent Perseus to obtain the head of Medusa. Dictys, the brother of Polydectes, did not like the way the King attempted to ravish Danae. When Perseus returned with the head, he used it to turn Polydectes to stone and gave the kingdom to Dictys.





The guy who made a statue of Aphrodite and fell in love with it.


-I think you mean Pygmalion, the sculptor who made a statue of a beautiful girl he named Galatea. Aphrodite/Venus brought the statue to life for Pygmalion.





The Titans that created all life and were on the side of the gods.


-Oceanus, Tethys, Hyperion, Thia, Crius, Eurybia (Mnemosyne), Coeus, Phoebe, Cronus, Rhea, Iapetus, and Themis
Reply:I am drawing a blank on the names, although you should be able to find them on www.encyclopediamythica.com.





The guy who made the statue did not make an image of Aphrodite, but of what he would consider the perfect woman physically. Venus (and only Venus, the myth does not exist in Greek myth) took pity on the sculptor and made it come to life.





The titans that created all life were not actually titans. Gaea was the creator of all life, and the mother of the titans and sided with Zeus. Rhea, her daughter and a titan, allowed the rebellion to begin. I do not think those two names have Roman counterparts.

camellia

No comments:

Post a Comment